Monday, August 23, 2010

For my baby


Four years ago today, at 1:20 a.m., my little man arrived in this world. I've spent the time since his birth staring in awe, wishing him happiness in life, worrying if he's gonna be alright, hugging him, kissing him, squeezing him, tucking him in and trying to get him to eat his vegetables. Everything has been magical, except the vegetables. This letter is for him, my baby, on the occasion of his 4th birthday. I've tried to remember every year to write him a letter for him to have to read when he's older, but as most mommies, some things have slipped through my fingers. I'd like to think I get the really important things right, though :)

Dear Chase -


Today is your fourth birthday and we've been talking about it for months and weeks. It also happens to be your first day of VPK, so we get the bargain of two milestones in one! Unfortunately for you, you will probably share a few more birthdays with the first day of school. Maybe it won't be so bad - first day of school isn't the most horrible thing ever, right? I can't believe that four years have flown by as quickly as they have. I can still remember holding you when you were born and I was just amazed at the happiness I felt looking at your little face. I still feel that happiness when I look at those gorgeous blue eyes of yours, and I'm thankful every day that you came into my and Daddy's life. I never thought I could love one person so much.


You are quite a character at the age of four. You are constantly running, jumping, climbing and making up adventures for yourself. Your legs are constantly covered in bruises and scrapes and my number one request to you is to "slow down". You hardly ever oblige me that one. You start ever day bright and early (you're just like your daddy in the morning). Almost daily, I am awakened by your very loud "Mommy!" When I enter your room you ask "is it time to get up now?" and I almost always answer "not yet", and we get to snuggle for a few minutes before you can't stand it anymore and have to get up.


My favorite time of day with you is in the car on the way to school and back in the afternoons. It's just mommy and Chase time, and we have some of the most interesting conversations. On the way to school we discuss the day ahead of us and you ask the best questions. In the afternoons (when you're in a good mood), I get to hear all about your day, who you played with, what you worked on in school and how much of your lunch you ate. You are almost always red-faced and sweaty from the playground, and always ready for some cold water and a snack. Some days, you don't feel like talking, so you pretend to go to sleep in your car seat and fake snore. “Honk-shoo, honk-shoo”, while trying not to smile. Even those grumpy days make me smile, because you have SO much personality.


At the glorious age of four, you have developed some distinct likes and dislikes:


You LOVE:
-Milk and cheese and yogurt.
-Superheroes.
-Your best friends, Caden and Dylan.
-Fire trucks, ambulances, police cars and taxis, and you want to be a firefighter when you grown up. (Hopefully the taxi fascination wears off.)
-Your dog, Rocco, proportionately with not loving him if he is taking up room on mom or dad's lap.
-Looking at your scrapbooks and commenting on how cute you were as a baby.
-Pizza.
-Baseball, namely the Rays. You love to say "Boo Yankees" and then "Go Yankees", just to tease your Daddy. You're a funny little guy.
-Sweets. Chocolate, candy, fruit snacks, cookies, etc. You are a sugar fiend.
-Thankfully, you love both Daddy and I and you tell us every day, with no prompting.


You DO NOT love:
-Vegetables. I can't get you to eat a single one. I'm pretty sure that the tomatoes in pizza sauce don't count.
-Trying any new food. It's like pulling teeth to get you to just taste it. You are stubborn.
-Bedtime.
-Bugs. You're still wary of bugs, which makes mommy very happy.
-Being told "no", but I don't think anyone really likes that one.


We are so lucky to have you, my little monkey man. You changed our lives, as everyone said you would, and undeniably, it was for the better. Even when we have our rough days, we somehow manage to end them on a happy note, with hugs and kisses and back scratches and a few rounds of telling us "just one more thing". You are the center of our universe and not a moment has gone by that I would change. Every day you grow stronger and bigger and you get smarter and more joyful. My heart practically bursts every time you holler "Mama!" and when I ask you "what?", your answer is "I Love You".


I wish nothing more for you in life than the love and happiness that I have experienced in being your mother.


All of my love, always -
Mommy

2 comments:

  1. What the heck Cindy - you are making me cry at my desk!

    Seriously though, what a wonderful letter to your little man on such an important day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally teared up too - what a sweet thing to do. I'll have to put this idea in my someday mommy file!!!

    ReplyDelete